It’s the end of the year, actually the end of a decade, so I’m following the age old tradition of end of year top 10 lists mixing in a few end of decade top 10’s. Let’s just save my ramblings and get to it, shall we?
*Disclaimer: These lists are purely my opinion. I have consulted no real factual evidence in making these lists and I’m fairly certain I will neglect some things.*
Top 10 Movies of 2009
- The Hangover
- An Education
- Up In The Air
- Sherlock Holmes
- The September Issue
- (500) Days of Summer
- One Week
- Sunshine Cleaning
Top 10 Movies of the Decade
- Almost Famous
- Brokeback Mountain
- Slumdog Millionaire
- Wall E
- Maria Full of Grace
- The Hangover
Top 10 Best Song Performances on Glee
- Alone (feat. Kristin Chenowith)
- Don’t Rain on My Parade
- Proud Mary
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want
- Sweet Caroline
- It’s My Life/ Confessions
- Don’t Stand So Close to Me/Young Girl
- Dancing With Myself
- (Tie) Don’t Stop Believing AND Somebody to Love
Top 10 Books of the Decade
- The Corrections- Jonathan Franzen
- I am Charlotte Simmons- Tom Wolfe
- A Million Pieces- James Frey
- Eat, Pray, Love- Elizabeth Gilbert
- Time Traveller’s Wife- Audrey Niffenegger
- A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant and A Prayer – Eve Ensler (editor)
- My Friend Leonard- James Frey
- Open- Andre Agassi
- The Art Of Racing In The Rain- Garth Stein
- The DaVinci Code- Dan Brown
Top Celebrity Scandals of the Year:
- Michael Jackson’s death
- Chris Brown beats the crap out of Rihanna
- Tiger Woods
- Kanye vs. Taylor Swift
- Madonna is not allowed to adopt from Milawi (then subsequently allowed)
- David Letterman extortion case/ cheating
- Miley Cyrus (many different stories: offensive photos, older boyfriends, tattoos)
- MacKenzie Phillips sleeps with her dad
- Ms. California (gay marriage, naked pictures, sex tapes… will they ever learn?)
- Jon and Kate break-up (I didn’t want to say it, but it did cover almost every tabloid for the better part of the year)
Top Celebrity Scandals of the Decade
- Michael Jackson- More charges against him and then his untimely death.
- Britney Spears- If MJ hadn’t died, she’d be number 1. She started the decade as the “it” girl and worked her way through various MTV award strip teases (+ 1 horrible performance), two marriages, two kids, a shaved head and numerous psychiatric visits.
- Brangelina + Jennifer- Did Brad cheat or not? Who cares. But when the decade started he and Jen were getting married, cut to five years later and everyone’s wondering if Angelina came between them. Now Brad and Angelina have 6 kids and Jen is doing yoga on the beach throwing herself monthly pity parties over her continued single/childless life (or so says every gossip magazine)
- Chris Brown beats Rihanna. The guy beat her half to death and receives 5 years probation and 180hrs community service. She rebounded by making a successful CD, released late 2009, whereas he went on every show imaginable (including YouTube) to do everything but sincerely apologize or explain his actions. He also released a CD in late 2009, sadly it sold, luckily it was considered a failure.
- “One Night In Paris” aka the launching of Paris Hiltons ‘career.’ Back in 2003 Paris Hilton, relatively unknown, had a little reality show coming out (The Simple Life), oddly enough, right before that premiered her little tape made with bf Rick Soloman “leaked” onto the internet just before the premiere of the show. Thus launching the biggest celebrity parasite known to man and plenty other scandal over the decade (prison, puppy torture), luckily 2009 did not see much publicity from Paris and hopefully this trend can continue going forward.
- Tiger Woods. Just before we got to the end of the decade Tiger had to sneak in with his story, and it’s a doozy. 14 women have come forward to claim having an affair with the guy, before this he flew relatively under the radar. He played golf, had a beautiful wife and two kids and seemed to be a really great, private, guy. Little did we know he had an elaborate cheating scandal that seems to have been going on over the entire decade. Maybe his divorce will be on the top 10 for scandals of the next decade?
- Martha Stewart. Oh Martha, Martha, Martha. Early in the decade she was rocked for insider trading and sent to federal prison for a couple months. This hasn’t hurt her empire much, when she left she seemed to pick up where she left off, but you gotta admit, the Queen of Perfection in prison seemed so unlikely. Actually anytime a famous person ends up in prison it seems so unlikely.
- Wardrobe Malfunction. The fact that this term entered the English language is enough said.
- Kate Moss snorts cocaine. Models using drugs (especially Kate Moss) should come as no surprise. But the pictures surfacing on every British paper and magazine is huge. The images soon circled around the world and the internet. Kate’s career was minimally harmed, she lost some contracts but seemed to regain a lot of her circa 90’s, grunge, Johnny Depp, popularity,
- Kramar uses the N-word. Michael Richards, better known as Kramar on Seinfeld, was doing a stand up act in LA back in 2006 when he used the N-word on an audience member 6 times in one performance. The act was caught on tape (cell phone cameras have forever changed the celebrity scandal world apparently) and Richards ended up apologizing on television (Letterman I think) and no longer does stand-up comedy.