Of all the social networks, Twitter is my favorite. Like most other things, I do have some pet peeves with the site’s users. Here they are:
- People who complain all the time. Everyone uses Twitter to complain from time to time, but if your timeline is filled only with complaints it’s time to re-evaluate your Twitter use.
- Stick to the 140 character rule. You’re given a limited amount of space for a reason, try not to pull a Kanye and stick to that rule. If what you have to say spans more than 2 tweets then take it to Facebook or start a blog.
- You can’t hide people’s tweets. Your only two options are to follow or unfollow. Sometimes I follow people I know but lose interest in their tweets (mainly for the problems outlined here) but I don’t want to insult them by unfollowing.
- Hashtag misuse. Throwing them in the middle of your tweet as part of the sentence, using them too much, letting them take up half of your tweet… these things hurt people’s eyes. They should be the punchline to your joke or used categorize your tweet.
- Bad spelling and grammar. I get the need to shorten words to make it short enough for the 140 limit but if you’re still way under the limit or just using the wrong form of their/there/they’re, to/too, your/you’re that’s just disrespectful to the English language. If you need help, check out my favorite infographic
- Celebrities that retweet tweets from fans that simply say “PLS RETWEET!! It’s all I’ve ever wanted from you” or “Please retweet if you love your fans in Brasil” or various parents of kids that believe a retweet from a d-list celebrity will cure their kid’s cancer. If you’re a celeb and want to communicate with your fans that’s wonderful, I just wish you’d reply to them so it doesn’t clog my timeline.
- Spam. There seems to be so much more of it lately.
Is there any Twitter pet peeves I’m missing here?